Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tazzman2

wall color that goes with red/golden oak floors

tazzman2
11 days ago
last modified: 11 days ago

I'm looking for a color that will minimize the red/yellow in the floors. I painted other room in this house white and it looks fantastic but i wanted a color in the dining.room. a deep color gray would be my choice but i'm reading some houzz responses that say no gray. Any suggestions? All of the furniture/draperies in the room below were removed and belongs to the previous owner.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    11 days ago

Warm off-white, beige, taupe, ivory or any neutral color would work.

tazzman2 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • acm
    11 days ago

Yes, the ivories are more common. But you should be able to do a darker tone like a taupe or a warm gray. Just don't go too blue or it brings out the yellow more by contrast.

tazzman2 thanked acm
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

If you pick up the color of the rug, a blue/gray it will bring out more of the red in the floor and the dining room set.

The festoons on the windows are a bit over the top.

• tazzman2
    Original Author
    11 days ago

what is the color of the walls

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

The color shown in the adjusted photo is something I had the computer select from your rug. It's a made up color, not a paint color.

• Lyn Nielson
    11 days ago

I would choose a white with a blue undertone. these are great starting points.

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

Folks on Houzz seem to be very anti-grey these days because it was quite trendy for years and everyone has moved on. Do you think that is why you are hearing no grey?

I love grey, don't care if it is has been done to death. If you pick the right grey and you love it, I think it will be winner with your red toned floors. I think if you do a moody grey that leans a bit more muddy than greenish it will look good. If you have green or a green undertone grey, I think it will make your floors pop even more.

• RedRyder
    11 days ago

I would pick a rug that works with your furniture first. Then use a color in that for the walls. Using the seller’s furniture + rug, Beverly showed you the idea.

I would go lighter - especially with your window treatment. Long sheer drapes across the entire window wall will make the room cozy.

• chispa
    11 days ago

BM Grant Beige can look really nice with that color floor. It also works well with lots of stain colors found in wood furniture.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    11 days ago

What about a slate blue?

I would get a few sample jars and paint some poster boards, then hang them up. That way you can really see how they will go with your floors

Good luck

• houssaon
    11 days ago

I painted my dining room BM Storm and really love it. I also painted the ceiling a haint blue.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 days ago

Beverly, they said it was previous owner furniture/window

tazzman- if that furniture belongs to previous owner, where is your furniture? how can we pick a color for the room when we don't know what's going in it???

you aren't keeping the window coverings either, I hope?

how about you show us what's going in there and we can pick colors that compliment it.

these are just a few off the bat

• liasch
    10 days ago

Anything with the green undertone is going to bring out the reds in your floors and make them pop…to a certain extent that would be true with blue as well because there are some orange tones in there. Any complementary colour on the colour wheel is going to make your floors pop. I agree with a previous suggestion to paint some posterboard samples or foam core board and see what it does to the floor. Any reputable paint store like Benjamin Moore should be able to tell you what the undertones are in a colour sample and give you the colour analysis.

• liasch
    10 days ago

Flo would be a big help here… can someone tag her?

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

I love the blue paint ideas. I happen to love blue...

And here are some other options with those gorgeous red oak golden floors.

Master Suite addition with see thru F/P · More Info

Interlachen Country Club (Edina) · More Info

• Amanda Smith
    10 days ago

I love Beverly’s mock-up above. Great transformation!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Focus on the room, NOT the floor.

When did it get to a point that the only floor was a pale white oak or similar? Gorgeous homes abound with floors that have RED in them : ) and walls......?

Pick a rug, ask what is my style? What are my furnishings? What is in the room I already painted white?! Go black if you like, add spicy leather chairs on a big sisal rug!!! But get a feel going first, because paint can be chosen to a fraction of any hue. Even black can mean one of many: ) Fifty shades of gray? Indeed, all the other colors as well.

• liasch
    10 days ago

Good point Jan…the floor is lovely as is…maybe bring out colour to the max as a feature!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

The op's floor is not ugly.....it's a nice wood floor.

The dining room was simply furnished as someone 78 - 90 may own: ( right down to the swageroo window, courtesy, the previous owner.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

I totally agree I love those wood floors and would embrace them and work with them. The room will be gorgeous.